Tuesday, January 6, 2009

broken


Dec 13th I broke my leg in a roller derby bout. The girl from the other team hit me and we both fell. I guess our legs got tangled and I knew something wasn't right. She got right up and skated to the pack. I, unfortunately could not get up. I remember my leg in the air then dropped to the floor. I managed to scoot off the track and tapped my helmet to let the refs know I was injured. I thought it was my ankle. I felt sharp needles throughout the front of my lower leg and my foot. I held it right under the calf and felt a bit of relief. 9-1-Juan our DCRD emt came over to help out. Breakin' followed. He's our picture, video, webiste guru newly turned emt. I kept hear popping in my leg. I could move my toes. Juan wrapped it up in a splint and the emt's carried me off in a chair while Breakin' held my leg. I waved and blew kisses to the crowd as I crossed the derby track. I figured it was gonig to be awhile before I'm back on the track so why not go out BIG. Everyone cheered and hubby and mom took me to the ER. Long story short....I broke my tibia and fibula. They put a rod in my tibia and they're letting the fibula heal on it's own. They only wrapped it up in a bandage. I was in the hospital for 3 days. The staff at Deaconess was amazing.

I went to the Dr Jan 2 and they took the staples out. They wrapped an ace bandage around my leg for comfort. I'm on crutches for another 6 weeks and they'll trasition me into walking. They said I won't need physical therapy or a boot. It will take a full year to heal but I will be walking in a couple of months. I will get back on skates but as for playing derby, I'm not too sure about it. I love DCRD and will support them anyway I can. I got re-elected as fundraiser/event planner for the league. So I'll definately be around.
I'm back to work which is a nice change. I do get uncomfortable at the end of the day. I'll get through it. My husband, Heath has been great! He is driving me around, picking up the house, taking care of our 4 year old daughter. My mom has been wonderful too. She helps clean my house. Heath helps clean too but mom gets it in tip top shape. Mom/dad are actually in Florida this month so it's sucky not having her around. I also want to thank all my friends that have wished me well and have offered all their help. It's great to have people in your life that care and are so giving.

No comments: